What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a form of cyanobacterium that is safe to be taken by humans and animals. This microalgae is also sometimes called pond scum, a term that may sound funny, but perfectly states where the product comes from. It is processed from a type of blue-green algae that is typically found in salty lakes and oceans at places where the climates are subtropical.
Spirulina algae are plant-like organisms that are rich in iron and B-vitamins. These organisms are used in products that are intended to deal with many health problems, which include obesity. The algae is best taken orally in order to benefit from it. This is the prime reason why blue green algae superfood supplements, such as the Nutrex Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica, were developed. Aside from being sold as supplements, this is also used as a color additive in packaged foods, which include candy and gum.
Health Benefits of Spirulina?
Related products are gaining lots of attention because of the known Spirulina benefits. Take a look into this list to find out why spirulina may be good for you.
- Good source of Spirulina protein. This is among the many nutrients that the product contains. How much protein in Spirulina? It is generally sufficient, but the supplement is not enough if you are only after its protein content. You have to take large doses if your body requires a lot of protein. In this case, it is recommended that you take this along with foods that are rich in protein, such as meat, legumes, whole grains, and nuts.
- Help protect and boost the body’s natural antibiotics. Antibiotics help in destroying the unwanted organisms in the body, but there are certain types that can also get rid of the good bacteria. As a result, the person suffers abdominal pains and diarrhea. It was found out that the Spirulina in test tubes can boost the growth of the so-called good bacteria or probiotics, which include Lactobacillus acidophilus.
- Healthier immune system. The product helps in increasing the body’s production of antibodies, proteins that fight off infection and improves one’s immunity. There are certain tests that were done to animals, which proved that this can help ward off diseases, such as influenza, AIDS, and herpes. More studies are being done to prove that the same findings are applicable to humans.
- Protect the body against liver disorders. There are certain supplements that are feared to cause damage to the liver. This is the reason why many people are skeptical in choosing the kind of product to take. It is great to know that Spirulina has passed this category. Instead of bringing harm, it protects the liver from damage and prevents liver failure for those who have chronic hepatitis.
- Promotes healthy eyes. It’s abundant in a nutrient (scientifically referred to as zeaxantuin) that is essential to the eyes. This helps in reducing the risks of a person to develop eye problems, such as age-related macular degeneration and cataract.
- Prevents oral cancer for those who chew tobacco. Those who chew on tobacco are prone to develop leukoplasia, a form of a precancerous lesion. Taking the product helps in reducing the risks of developing the lesion and aids in getting rid of it for those who already have the disease.
Through continued research, those who are involved in processing Spirulina products are set to prove that the health-boosting algae has a lot more health benefits to offer. More evidence are being gathered to ensure its effectiveness in managing conditions such as allergies, diabetes, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), hepatitis-C, menopausal syndromes, stress, depression, high blood pressure, and many more.
Spirulina Side Effects?
Just like any kinds of supplements, the product has to be taken under the supervision of a health care provider. This is especially true for people who are taking medications or undergoing therapies. The good thing about the product is that it is safe, even when taken in high doses. You only need to make sure that you only buy this from a reputable provider and trusted brand. You wouldn’t want to take products that are contaminated with toxic substances.
Avoid taking the product if you have phenylketonuria, a kind of metabolic condition. Your body will find it hard to metabolize the amino acid phenylalanine that the product contains. This must also not be taken by those who are suffering from autoimmune diseases, which include lupus, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis. In this case, the product can stimulate your body’s immune system, which may worsen your existing health problems.
This is a natural product that is generally safe, for as long as you are certain that what you’ve got is uncontaminated. There are a few people who experience side effects, especially in the first few days, after trying to take the supplement. These symptoms include the following:
- Slight drowsiness
- Slight fever
- Slight itch
The side effects will naturally go away as your body learns how to adapt with the health benefits of the supplement. If it ceases to stop or the side effects get worse, stop taking the product and have yourself checked by a doctor.
Spirulina Weight Loss
If you’re planning to take this supplement for weight loss, take note that you can get it in different forms, such as blue algae powder, capsule, and tablet. Follow the manufacturer’s directions regarding the recommended dosage based on your gender, age, and weight.
The product is known for its benefits. Spirulina weight loss occurs due to these reasons:
- It has a good amount of protein and a low calorie content. The protein that it has is easily absorbed by the body, which aids in building muscles and in burning more calories. For every gram of protein, the product contains 3.9 calories. A standard 500mg tablet contains two calories. This gives you nutrients in Spirulina without suffering from the consequences of taking in too much calories.
- The vitamins in Spirulina and minerals in Spirulina help in making you feel full most of the time. When you are hungry, your body instinctively acts to look for food. Your mind will be in constant search for the food item that triggers your appetite until you have given in. To prevent this from happening, the product helps in increasing the concentration of nutrients in your body. As a result, you will have less cravings and you will seldom feel hungry.
- Spirulina has a rich content of gamma linolenic acid (GLA) and Omega-3 fatty acids. The best source of GLA is breast milk. This nutrient aids the development of the child’s brain. GLA, when it comes to weight loss, is effective in regulating your insulin levels and blood sugar. When you supply your system with these nutrients, it will experience minimal cravings for carbohydrates, which is an important factor to lose weight.
Spirulina Fukishima Radiation
You may have heard about the worries on Spirulina radiation. This scare started when the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan on March 2011. This left a lot of casualties, which include the destruction of TEPCO’s Fukushima nuclear power plant. The contaminated debris and radiation are feared to be brought from Japan to the waters in the US.
A lot of lessons were learned from the Chernobyl incident that remains to be the worst nuclear power plant destruction in the world. These lessons were applied after the Fukushima occurrence. In this case, the negative health impacts were minimized and contained.
This is part of the reason why you need to be certain of the brand and reputation of the seller of the product before you buy. You have to be sure of its safety and you must be given the warranty that it is not contaminated and it doesn’t pose dangers to your health. Since Nutrex Hawaiian Spirulina comes from Hawaii- the Fukishima radiation has not affected hawaii or Nutrex spirulina. Nutrex has gone through testing in Labs for radiation which comes back negative. The sea water which Nutrex gets to mix spirulina is pumped from 2000 feet below the surface of the ocean which has not seen the surface of the ocean in over 2000 years.
Spirulina has healing qualities for people who has poisioning from radiation so this can be quite beneficial for consumers.
Spirulina Nutrition Facts
The dried variant has about 60 percent of protein, which contains all essential amino acids. It has seven percent lipid content and is rich in GLA, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and linoleic acid (LA). It also contains docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), arachidonic acid (AA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and stearidonic acid (SDA).
The product contains B vitamins, such as riboflavin, thiamine, folic acid, nicotinamide and pyridoxine. It has vitamins A, C and E. The supplement has other beneficial nutrients, which include sodium, zinc, calcium, potassium, copper, iron and magnesium. There are other essential nutrients that make the product fitting to be called a superfood. These nutrients are beta-carotene, isomers, myxoxanthophyll, zeaxanthin and a lot more.
Where Can I Buy Spirulina Online Cheap?
The product is available at many local health stores. This can also be safely bought online. In this case, make sure that you read various Spirulina tablets reviews, compare Spirulina tablets vs powder and consider the feedback of those who have already tried it. Search about the brand and reputation of the seller before you place an order.
To make it easier for you, a good brand of Spirulina is the Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica. You can get this from trusted dealers or order online at its official website. The product is safe and effective, whether you buy the Spirlulina powder or prefer its other forms. A lot of people can testify on how it worked for them and helped them in dealing with many kinds of health problems.
In every 3-gram serving of the product, you will get a good dose of protein, phytonutrients, and other essential nutrients. When taken on a regular basis, this can help you in dealing with your weight issues and provide numerous health benefits. The product comes with a warranty and detailed instructions on how to take it to attain maximum benefits.
Surely, there are many other Spirulina supplements on the market that are worth the investment. Just don’t make the mistake of immediately purchasing the first thing you see – as pointed out, doing a bit of research will do you good.