Spirulina and Its Benefits
There’s a new superfood in town. Spirulina, a plant-based protein that doesn’t grow in gardens, contains a lot of nutrients that’s good for the body. Spirulina comes from blue-green algae found in fresh water. The term spirulina came from the Latin word “helix” or “spiral.” One characteristic of this plant is that it doesn’t need a lot of nurturing, unlike most plants. It’s a survivor. It can withstand extreme temperatures. It contains more protein than fish and beef. It also has beta-carotene, iron, calcium, and potassium.
Here are the other essential nutrients found in spirulina:
1. Methionine, which helps the liver and calms the nerves
2. Lysine, which improves circulation in the body
3. Valine, which improves mental function
4. Isoleucine, which, like valine, can also improve cognitive function
5. Phenylalanine, which encourages the production of thyroxine that can help improve metabolism
6. Leucine, which gives more energy and helps the body function effectively
7. Threonine, which improves digestion
Who should take spirulina?
The nutrients found in spirulina are good for children who are not getting enough nutrients from the food they eat. It’s also beneficial for pregnant mothers and teenagers. Patients who are trying to recover from an illness should also consider taking spirulina tablets or capsules. The plant-based protein can help them recover quickly.
How to best consume spirulina
Spirulina can be consumed by taking either the capsule or the tablet, or flakes or powders. The recommended daily dose is up to 5 grams. When taking spirulina, make sure to drink more water for it to be absorbed well in the system. It’s better to take it in smaller doses first, so you can see how the body responds to it before taking in larger doses. It is also better not to consume alcohol, soda, and coffee for at least 30 minutes after taking spirulina. Those drinks can destroy the nutrients found in this supplement.
How to store spirulina
It is better to keep spirulina in a clean environment. Pollution and high temperature will lower its benefits. It is also advisable not to use spirulina that has been kept for more than 6 months. It’s best to consume it within three months of purchase.
What does it do?
Spirulina contains nutrients that can help to either treat or prevent major diseases. It can improve the immune system, thus helping someone fight viruses that can make one sick.
These are some of the many benefits of spirulina:
1. Spirulina can help candida and HIV victims. It has been found that this plant-based protein can help the body produce healthy bacterial flora which can control candida. It can also inactivate Human Immunodeficiency Virus.
2. Spirulina can relieve allergic rhinitis and other nasal congestions. There is no need to take over-the-counter medications if you have the said conditions. A natural way for treating allergies is by taking spirulina.
3. It controls blood pressure. Many Americans are diagnosed with hypertension, one of the leading causes of death today. Hypertension can be controlled by having an active lifestyle and consuming nutritious food. However, taking spirulina can also help regulate blood pressure.
4. It lowers cholesterol. Most hypertensive patients also suffer from high cholesterol levels. Apart from regulating blood pressure, this plant can help lower cholesterol that can cause atherosclerosis.
5. It is good for vegetarians. Vegetarians and vegans shouldn’t worry about not getting enough protein as spirulina contains more protein than meat. They should consume about two tablespoons of spirulina as their daily protein substitute.
Does it have any side effects?
There are no known side effects of spirulina, but there are some reactions that can be experienced when taking it. The plant can increase metabolism, so the person consuming it may have a slight fever. He or she may also experience temporary feelings of excitement with spirulina. Since it can help in cleaning the colon, people who take this supplement may have itchy skin. Don’t worry, though, as it will disappear right away.
super green foods list
list of superfoods
raw organic superfood
best superfood supplements
super food drink
healthy eating food list
super food supplement
health food supplements
best superfoods powder
top superfoods for weight loss
superfoods for skin
green superfoods benefits
new products for marketing
superfoods goji berries
5 best superfoods
vitamin b1 b6 b12 spirulina powder buy
new marketing products
super food list 2012
food and health articles
top 20 superfoods for weight loss
superfoods list 2013
eating healthy foods
superfood green drink
ten best superfoods
top 5 superfoods in the world
7 super food for heart health
best superfood drink